The Jacob Arnold Family Papers, 1763-1878, highlight a number of business transactions between Jacob Arnold and several members of Morristown and the surrounding area. The donors of these papers found them in the walls and attic of a home they were renovating in the Morristown area. The collection contains documents including mortgages, land deeds, estate sales, correspondences, common pleas, land surveys, and petitions. These documents identify the transactions of Jacob Arnold and various members of his family. There are also documents in this collection that do not pertain specifically to the Arnold family, but were found with the aforementioned documents and involve people mentioned in Jacob Arnold's documents.
The papers start in 1763 and end in 1878. There are a few documents which contain no date. Also there are several documents that do not mention any Arnold family member specifically but rather have to do with people mentioned in Arnold's documents. These documents were all found with Jacob's Arnold's documents. Some of the documents have been transcribed.
The images shown on this page are just a small part of this entire collection. Click the link below or the "Browse" tab above to see all the items in this collection.
Browse this Collection
Jacob Arnold served as Commander of the light-horse militia of Morris County, NJ, under the command of George Washington. He also was the proprietor of a tavern used by General Washington as headquarters during the Revolutionary War, which was located on the Morristown Green. Colonel Jacob Arnold's grave is located in the churchyard of the Presbyterian Church in Morristown, NJ.